Monday, January 14, 2013

Housekeeping Poll Results


Thanks to all those ladies who answered my poll about how long it takes you per day to keep your house clean. The answers ranged from thirty minutes to more than two hours. Of course, that all depends on your standards of cleanliness, the size of your house, and the number of people living there. My standards are to have a pretty clean house. We have four people living in ours which is a little over 2000 sq. ft. Not so big by American standards.

I have a cleaner who comes in twice a month to do the dusting, mopping, and cleaning bathrooms, so those are things I never do. Even still, I spend around two hours a day on cleaning and straightening. That doesn't count cooking. I'd like to spend less but don't think that's going to happen right now. I know if I had less stuff in the house, it'd be easier to clean and keep clean. While I admire bare houses, I have a really hard time getting mine that way. I equate certain things with coziness; books, rugs, throws, and pillows all say "home" to me. In the summer I do tend to pare down and have less around.

It's a goal I aim for though, to take less time cleaning. In two weeks, we'll only have three here. A son is going to Russia for a 6-month mission trip, but that's another blog post.

3 comments:

magsmcc said...

I aspire to your aspirations!

Pom Pom said...

I love the book Living a Beautiful Life because of the grace notes in the back of each chapter. She makes cleaning and tidying sound like such loving gestures.

Thistle Cove Farm said...

I have very low housekeeping standards; a lick and a promise is good enough around here. In the summer, I'll do better but in mud season, it's all I can do to keep up with the farm work.
In the early spring, I'll put all my Stoddard books on the bedside table and nudge myself along a cleaner path. grin. I just enjoy reading her books; they are so calm and peaceful.