Thursday, October 6, 2011

Learning to Live by Remembering Death



‎"Remembering that I'll be dead soon is the most important tool I've ever encountered to help me make the big choices in life. Because almost everything — all external expectations, all pride, all fear of embarrassment or failure - these things just fall away in the face of death, leaving only what is truly important. Remembering that you are going to die is the best way I know to avoid the trap of thinking you have something to lose."

Steve Jobs, 1955-2011.

2 comments:

Barbara said...

There's a really good article on him posted today over at Pyro, contrasting his message with Christ's. Insightful and well-put, I thought.

Bellezza said...

That is really powerful stuff. I get too caught up in the non-essential: what will people think? what iffing myself to death. Like an idiot. We're all dying, we're heading that way sooner vs. later, it's time to think how to live without fear. Without baggage. Thanks for this post/quote.