Friday, July 22, 2011

Travels in South Carolina

Here are more pics from last weekend when we attended a horse show where our youngest daughter was showing.

On the way back, I found this little country store where I just had to stop. Isn't it the cutest thing? I bought some benne (sesame) seed wafers, fried peanuts in the shell, and a divinity log. I rarely buy anything home canned as I can do that myself. They had rows and rows of all kinds of preserves, jellies, and syrups. I can make divinity, too but don't usually go to the trouble; except around Christmas. And I do love me some divinity. It's aptly named, for sure.

I love the symmetry of the jars and rows. It reminded me of a little store I found in Stamfort, England. This store looked very British. I made use of their washroom as I had about a two-hour trip home. I really just wanted to go in there and look. It didn't disappoint.

Have ya'll tried she-crab soup? It's delicious. I make that, too, only I leave out the crab row, so I guess mine is he-crab soup?

Click on the first photo and you'll see that the address on the mailbox is 1330 King's Highway. I love that address, especially since it was a one-lane paved lane leading into the country. South Carolina is rich in history going back over 300 years. Not old by European standards, but certainly old by American ones.








9 comments:

Katy said...

Great little store! And Darcie looks so grown!

Gumbo Lily said...

What a fun place to look around in. Thanks for taking us in!

Leslie said...

I like the orderliness of that store, too. I would like to try the divinity. It all seems very southern to me. Your daughter is beautiful!

Pom Pom said...

Nice! I loved shopping here with you! I think a row of home-canned food is one of the loveliest sights to see.

Left-Handed Housewife said...

I love seeing those rows of canned goods--wonderful!

xofrances

laurel said...

Wow, that store looks FABULOUS!!

The Provincial Homemaker said...

What a gorgeous store. I thought boiled peanuts were unique to our part of the world - but obviously not:)

Bellezza said...

I've never been to South Caroline, but I thoroughly enjoyed your photographs (and the fact that you can yourself at home!). The King's Highway somehow reminds me of a novel by Anne Rivers Siddons...now I have to go look up what she wrote with King's Road, King's something. Your daughter looks so wonderful on her horse! My parents showed horses, and rode in a fox hunt group, for years but I was never particularly in love with the sport. I can appreciate its level of difficulty and beauty, though, and I did love jumping in Mexico one year.

debbie bailey said...

Hi Provincial Homemaker,

Boiled peanuts are a Southern staple. I can't stand them, though!

Bellezza,

A fox hunt group sounds very romantic. I know Darcie would LOVE to participate in one of those. Alas, the closest thing to that is in Virginia, I think.