Monday, May 30, 2011

Making a Difference in the World


"Anything you do from the soulful self will help lighten the burdens of the world. Anything. You have no idea what the smallest word, the tiniest generosity, can cause to be set in motion....Mend the part of the world that is within your reach." Clarissa Pinkola Estes

I want to take these words to heart. I need to quit looking for the bigger thing to do. I know in my own life that the things that have made the biggest impacts on my life have been the small things; a word said in passing that shook my world, a kind smile that eased my aching heart, a quick touch on the hand that said, "I care about you"....such small things can have a big effect on the heart for good.

Today I want to do small things for my loved ones and strangers alike. I want to live mindfully and deliberately, and by lightening someone else's load, I'll bring more joy into my own life.

6 comments:

Leslie said...

I really like that last sentence...."Mend the part of the world that is within your reach."

Gumbo Lily said...

Such a perfectly true quote. I think that oftentimes we don't even know that we are doing some small thing for God. If we knew, we might start thinking too much about it.

I like this post!

Jody

Pom Pom said...

Hi Debbie!
It's tempting to make big old plans, isn't it? Great quote!

grannimcd said...

You just touched my life and heart (again).

Bellezza said...

You wrote, " I need to quit looking for the bigger thing to do." which is certainly necessary. For me, I need to quit looking for the perfect thing.

I can't imagine how I, as a Christian woman who believes the Lord is all I need, still is looking for perfection in this fallen world. In little things, like the perfect red lipstick. The perfect blog look. The perfect balance.

I'll think of us in our quests, doing enough to be nurturing and enough to find contentment. I love your soulfull posts.

Left-Handed Housewife said...

I love this quote! It is along the lines of things I've been thinking about lately, like staying focused on my family, doing good where I live, etc. My tendency too often is to look outward, to think really, really big. Thanks for sharing this!

xofrnces