Saturday, February 26, 2011

Care & Industry-Trying to Find the Balance

Here is the Walker family crest; Walker being my paternal grandmother's maiden name. It means Care and Industry. I find that very curious since those are the two things I'm constantly trying to balance. On one hand I want to take care of my home, family, and friends, but on the other hand I want to get lots of things done.

You know as a child how you would stand in the middle of a see-saw and try to balance the board by keeping both sides equal distance from the ground? I may be telling my age here. Are there any old-fashioned see-saws left in the world? That's how I feel in trying to keep care and work balanced in my life.

If I care for people too much, I get angry because I'm not getting anything made or done. If I do too much art or other related things, I feel guilty for not caring for the people in my life more. It's interesting that I don't get angry when I let relationships slip; just guilty. And it's interesting that I don't feel guilty when I don't do enough art.

Any insight out there in cyberspace?

5 comments:

Left-Handed Housewife said...

Not from me. I have the same struggles. It's very hard to carve out the space we need to be creative--and some of us really do need to be creative--and not feel guilty about it. Let me know if you figure anything out!

xofrances

Gumbo Lily said...

No insight here. Life's a teeter-totter (or see saw) for me too. I really need to be creative every so often so I just let the rest of the world "fall apart" for a little while. Somehow the earth keeps spinning without me while I take some time to create.

Jody

Anonymous said...

I think you know in your heart what you truly want/need to do. God put you on this earth for a purpose & you feel best when living out that purpose. Society rewards women (and men) for certain roles & as women we often feel strong emotions when our true desires don't jive with these roles. Be good to yourself and others by willfully choosing what intuitively feels right. I will pray for you on this journey. It's a struggle I know well.

debbie bailey said...

Dear Anonymous,

Please let me know who you are so we can continue our discussion. You seem to have wisdom that I need.

debbie bailey said...

Dear Anonymous,

Please let me know who you are so we can continue our discussion. You seem to have wisdom that I need.