Sunday, September 12, 2010

Learning to Lean

My soldier boy, Lord willing, will be home in about nineteen days. It's been a long year. I've learned a lot about trust and faith this year.

When my children were small, I prayed that they would make a difference in the world when they grew up. Now that four of them are grown and are making their marks on the world, I'm afraid that God will use them by taking them far away from our family center. Or worse, be martyred for their faith.

Having one in Iraq has definitely helped me to let go and be willing for God to use them in his service any way he sees fit.

I'm even more convinced that whatever happens to them will be for his own glory; even though I may not understand it.

Letting go of my adult children into God's total care has been one of the hardest things I've ever had to do. Does it seem fair to invest twenty plus years of your life into another person's life only to have them go away from you?

Such is the lot of mothers.

1 comment:

Leslie said...

A friend with grown children was just telling me the other day how much more her children need her and her prayers now than ever before. I am a little frightened of when that time will come, so I am practicing baby steps of letting go now. I know it is not the same.

So glad your son will be home very soon. Prayers for safety and a sweet time together are being lifted up for you.