Monday, July 19, 2010

Summer Fun and a New Quote



It's been a busy summer so far. Last week I was at the John C. Campbell Folk School in Brasstown, North Carolina for a week of intense classes in digital photography. We learned how to operate in full manual mode and how to use Photoshop. I learned tons; some of which was over my head. I may write more about that later.

But for today, I only want to quote from a book I'm reading by Elizabeth Goudge called The Scent of Water. I've always loved her writings. The stories are always good. She really develops her characters in a very slow, English village sort of way just like I like them. Here's the quote: "If you understand people, you're of use to them whether you can do anything tangible for them or not. Understanding is a creative act in a dimension we do not see."

I believe it's an act of love to really listen and understand another person. When we do this for another, it's a precious gift. I pray to be able to love with Christ's love and to be able to understand and appreciate my fellow human travelers as we journey together through this life.

5 comments:

Mary said...

How wonderful for you. I have wanted to take a class there for years - will do it someday!!

That book sounds very good, I think I'll pick up a copy!!

Blessings!

Butterfly Works said...

Beautiful NC mountains, nothing like them......that class sounds wonderful. I too have always wanted to take a class but haven't gotten around to it.....
Hugs

GretchenJoanna said...

Thank you for that quote. Goudge's gems are good to come back to again and again, and that one is surely encouraging. Sometimes it seems there is so little we can do to help a particular person, but this thought gives me hope of being of use even in the hard cases.

Pom Pom said...

Hi Debbie! It's so nice to hear from you. I'm glad you are having a nice summer. The class sounds wonderful!

Left-Handed Housewife said...

I've always wanted to go to the John C. Campbell Folk School--for something! I don't know what. But I've always wanted to go, and one day I will. This past week I've been up in Mitchell County, NC, and paid an afternoon visit to the Penland School of Craft. Also inspiring!

frances