Monday, March 22, 2010

Decluttering My Hobbies

Things are blooming down south. This is a redbud tree in the children's garden. Spirea, daffodils, azaleas, camellias, grape hyacinth, and more are budded out.

I'm also coming out of my wintertime fog. I had an "Aha!" moment this past weekend.

I've been reading Susan Vreeland's Luncheon of the Boating Party; about Renoir's painting and how it came to be. I love the descriptions of how he saw colors and light. I see that way too. I notice things; subtleties.

But unlike Renoir, I have had almost no training in painting. I believe I could learn to paint, but the amount of time it would take is time I can't give right now.

So for now, I'm going to concentrate on photography and writing. I'll do the occasional small watercolor, for I can do those without much angst. I find them fun and relaxing.

God has chosen motherhood for my life's pathway and all that calling entails. Until Darcie is self-reliant, I won't have the time to pursue painting on a large scale.

And maybe it will come sooner than I think it will. I'm going to practice contentment in this stage of my life and count my blessings which are many. I'm not going to think of what might have been. I just want to be the best mother and grandmother I can be.

I don't want to become an old person who just sits in the house all day. I want to be active and learn new things with my family. I want to show them that it can be fun to get old. I want us to have fun together.

But the point of this post is to say that, for now, I'm letting painting go. Except petite watercolors.

4 comments:

Leslie said...

Amen! There are so many things I would like to do, but it isn't for this season of my life. I think consciously letting go helps me so much like the specificity of this post.

Red buds! We had some crazy snow here yesterday and one of the prettiest sights of all was a redbud with purplish blossoms showing through while covered in big thick snow. I regret not snapping a photo...even if it meant being late to church.

Laura A said...

Debbie, I've let it go, too, and I used to get paid to paint. So I really do know what you mean. Painting is a really concentration-intensive thing to do.

Enjoy your blooms! I learned from my mom this week that gardenias are the same thing as jasmine. What?! That explains a lot!

Bonnie said...

Hi Debbie,
I think we have similar family order: 4 children and a daughter?
Homeschooling also. Keep on with learning to paint or anything else.
I'll look back to see what you do!
Great reading also!

libbyquilter said...

hhhhmmmmmmmm . . . a petite watercolor could be an ATC . . .

:-)
libbyQ